Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh...for a rainy day

Have you ever liked an item in a store only to be disappointed because they did not have the right size or colour or model in stock? I bet everyone of us has had this experience. Many a times I have walked into a clothing store, selected a handsome shirt and found that size 42 is no longer available. There is 40 and there is 44... But no 42. The store clerk with a very disinterested or disappointed look (probably depends on how his day went by) tells you that there is no size 42... not even in the stock in the back of the store.

The interaction often ends there. Never have I had any store clerk or manager show eagerness to get my contact details and commit on delivering the size 42 (or colour blue or whatever) to me as soon as it arrives in store.

I remember way back in 1999 when I was in Cincinnati, Ohio. The local Walmart store had a special deal going on for a "DIY shelf". As a bachelor, it attracted me as something that might get some order in one corner of my bedroom. So I get into my car and drive over to the Walmart store. They are out of stock. Apparently there were many more who thought same ways on the deal and were much quicker than me. The store clerk immediately took me to the customer service desk and handed me a "rain check" which entitled me to the "DIY Shelf" at the same price as it was available in the special deal. After 3 days, I get a call from the store saying that the shelf has arrived in stock. So I go down there on the way back from my office and pick it up.

My friend had a similar experience with Best Buy. There were giving a desktop PC for 300 dollars as part of the thanksgiving promotion. My friend stood in queue waiting for the store to open. However, he was probably 2 persons too late. The stock was picked up before he could reach the PC aisle. The Best Buy attendant gives him a rain check for the deal. He gets a call on the second day to pick up the PC at 300 dollars. Apparently, there was one store in an adjacent town that could not sell its stock and had some leftover. They got the PC shipped to the local Best Buy store and my friend ended up owning the PC.

I wish the Shoppers Stop, Big Bazaar, Lifestyles in India learn this lesson. When a customer decides on a product and starts looking for a special fit... whether size or colour... thats point of sale. Knowing that his size or colour is not available after spending time going through the various options to narrow on the design he likes is a big disappointment. But NO retailer in India has ever tried to leverage this situation. They always say the required SKU is out of stock and move on.

It would create such a delight to the customer if the retailer could just provide a rain check on the item and make sure the customer is either alerted or delivered the said item.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:41 AM

    Just to mention, WIlls LifeStyle offers even to home deliver the goods , of course u would need to pay them, - Danny

    ReplyDelete

 
test